StartUp Somali is a campaign by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs, harnessing the expertise and passion of leading business people to unleash entrepreneurship across the Somali region. Founded by 4 entrepreneurs and launched in May 2014. StartUp Somali is completely private sector funded, and was launched in response to the Diasporas call for an ‘enterprise led’ recovery. StartUp Somali is a grassroots network of entrepreneurs working together to build an environment for entrepreneurship. Through online platforms, grassroots StartUp Communities and cross-sector initiatives. StartUp Somali is advancing entrepreneurial momentum and a culture of entrepreneurship, as the voice of Somali entrepreneurs.
StartUp Somali’s activities include:
- A national network of grassroots StartUp Communities & Community Builders
- StartUp Connect – an online directory, network and marketplace for the Somali entrepreneur community
- High-impact social and mainstream media cultural campaigns, flagship events and cross-sector initiatives.
- Improve skills for accessing opportunities in the virtual global economy to foster employability and entrepreneurship
- Support the growth of a viable ecosystem for youth-led StartUp enterprises
How we do this:
We are passionate about promoting entrepreneurship and its benefits to our economy and we do this by highlighting the myriad of support that is available to those who wish to start or grow a business, galvanising support where we see a demand and by acting as a voice for small businesses to Government.
We believe that connecting the Somali communities and unifying their voice, effort and energy is the best way forward. We believe that collective effort, spirit and co-operation are fundamental principles of survival, development and self-dignity. We strive to be a credible and respected, and to be representative of the Somali entrepreneurial voice.
How you can get involved:
If you want to get involved and support StartUp Somali future entrepreneurs by offering funding, putting on an event or becoming a volunteer, we would love to hear from you. If you would like to know anything else about the campaign, please do not hesitate to contact us via Info@StartUpsomali.org